These savory muffins go really well with a drizzle of honey. My family loves them, and if I want extra muffins for freezing, I need to make two batches since we eat a whole batch at once.
In this video tutorial, I also show a modified version using partly garbanzo bean flour. (Have you subscribed to my youtube channel?)
A few tips for making these muffins.
1. This recipe was created using whole wheat flour. If you substitute whole wheat flour with other more moist flour such as almond flour, the muffins might not cook thoroughly at around 20 minutes point.
2. Position rack in the middle to avoid the top and bottom from burning.
3. Use thick yogurt such as Greek yogurt for this recipe.
Savory zucchini mini muffins
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1+1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt optional
- 1/2 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or Mexican-blend cheese
Position rack in the middle and preheat oven to 350F
Shred 1 zucchini with a coarse grater. One large zucchini will make about 2 cups.
Mix whole wheat flour, onion powder, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, mix milk and greek yogurt.
Whisk an egg. Mix whisked egg with milk and greek yogurt.
Make a well in the dry mixture and pour the wet mixture into the dry mix. Stir until just combined.
Add grated zucchini and cheddar cheese. Gently combine.
Grease a mini muffin tin.
Spoon batter equally into the cups. Cookie scoop (1.5 tbsp) works well for this task.
Bake for about 20 minutes until the top is golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
(optional) Drizzle honey on top.