This post is sponsored by Pacific Coast Producers.
Grilling season is coming, and here’s an easy, homemade, all-purpose marinade recipe for you. I’ve tried this marinade on Galbi (Korean grilled short ribs), braised short ribs, and chicken drumsticks, and it was a crowd-pleaser every time.
The inspiration for this marinade comes from traditional galbi marinade, but I made it simpler with common ingredients you can find in an American market. Fresh fruits are often used in Korean-style meat marinade for subtle sweetness. For this recipe, you can simply grab a can of pears from your pantry and enjoy the same delicious flavor any time of year!
Traditional galbi marinade uses Asian pears which help to tenderize the meat. Although canned pears are typically Bartlett pears, they are an excellent substitute for this recipe, plus they are cost-efficient and have a sustainable shelf life..
A few suggestions for cooking meat
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place marinaded short ribs in a single layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flipping the meat halfway.
- Broil for a couple of minutes until the edges are charred.
Instant pot braised short ribs
- Slice one onion and place it in an Instant Pot.
- Add the marinated short ribs and all the marinade.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of beef broth and 12 oz of shitake mushrooms.
- Pressure cook high for 1 hour and natural-release for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place marinated drumsticks in a single layer and cut a slit through the thickest part of the drumsticks using a sharp knife. The slits will help the drumsticks to cook through.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Brush the drumsticks with the remaining marinade.
- Bake for another 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted through the thickest part of the drumsticks registers 165 F.
All-purpose marinade with canned pears
Here’s a super easy and versatile marinade recipe using a healthy recipe staple, canned pears.
- 1 can of pears in real fruit juice
- 1/4 white onion
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
Soak your choice of meat in the marinade. Make sure all sides of the meat are well coated. Refrigerate for 3 to 24 hours before cooking.
Check out the full blog post for cooking instructions for Oven-baked Galbi, Instant Pot braised short ribs, and over-baked drumsticks!